Week 4: Shine a light on the dark nights
October 23, 2017
Research shows that when the clocks go back, burglaries spike by a huge 38%! With this in mind, week four is dedicated to securing the great outdoors where burglars could be hiding under the cover of darkness.
- As the weather cools, don’t leave ladders, tools or garden furniture lying around outside.
- Lock these items away with a heavy-duty, weatherproof padlock. For extra peace of mind, secure individual items with anchor locks and cables.
- Security lighting not only increases visibility, but also acts as a great deterrent for those thieves who are shy in the spotlight.
- For 24 hour protection, ensure your CCTV system has infrared LED night vision, enabling you to keep an eye on your property around the clock.
- Protect your boundaries by securing any gates or fencing, preventing them from breaking in high winds and becoming vulnerable to burglars.
- Top tip! Mark your property with your postcode and house number and register items for free with Immobilise, the UK’s National Property Register. This makes it easier for police to return stolen items.