Week 3: Lights, Camera, Action
Don’t be left in the dark this winter. As the evenings begin to get darker, we’re helping you secure your outdoors ready for the colder months.
To fortify your exterior, week three focuses on CCTV, lighting and outdoor security.
- For 24-hour protection, ensure your CCTV system has infrared LED night vision, enabling you to keep an eye on your property around the clock
- Security lighting not only increases visibility, but also acts as a great deterrent for those thieves who are shy in the spotlight
- Use automatic timer-switches to turn lights on or off when you’re out to make the property appear occupied
- Don’t make the perimeter around your property easy to access. Secure gates with a heavy-duty, weatherproof padlock, trim hedges for improved visibility and make sure fences are in good repair
- As the weather cools, don’t leave ladders, tools or garden furniture lying around outside. Lock these items away with a heavy-duty padlock. For extra peace of mind secure individual items with anchor locks and cables
It’s also important not to forget sheds garages during the winter months. You can secure these outbuildings with a weatherproof padlock to help deter would-be thieves and protect against unwanted intruders. NHSM headline sponsor, Yale, offers weatherproof padlocks with a solid multi-layered steel body to protect against erosion and saw attack, plus a keyway cover cap to prevent rusting. Heavy-duty padlocks are recommended for shed doors, whilst anchor locks and cables can secure individual items of high value inside an outbuilding.