Top Tips To Secure Your Rural Fuel
Crime can have a big impact on rural communities, causing anxiety to the people who live and work in the countryside. And unfortunately it’s an issue that is not going away any time soon.
Latest figures show the annual cost of rural crime in the UK is £42.5m , which is a slight increase on the previous year. Heating oil is a commonly targeted item, which is bad news if you live in one of the 3.9 million homes that are ‘off-grid’ and likely to rely on oil to keep your house warm.
Heating oil is viewed as an easy target as storage tanks are often quite large and obvious, meaning thieves can simply trespass onto the property, pierce the tank and siphon off the oil.
Repairing or replacing the tank and oil can be expensive, and there may also be environmental damage from spillages to clean up. Meanwhile you may be left cold with no fuel to heat your home. So what measures can you take to make sure you don’t become a victim of fuel theft?
The rural home heating experts at Calor gas offer their top tips…
• Ensure your oil tank is locked using a high quality weatherproof padlock. Close shackle padlocks are ideal as their design features very little of the shackle, preventing attacks from bolt croppers
• Fit an oil level gauge to the tank so you can monitor unusual drops
• Think about where the oil tank is situated. If possible, re-site to an area where it is more secure or out of site
• Install security fencing or spikey plants around the tank
• Use ‘beware of the dog’ signs. Even if you do not have a dog, these signs can make thieves think twice about trespassing
• Regularly check tanks for signs of tampering
In order to truly secure your rural fuel, you could consider switching to an alternative such as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). LPG offers a more secure option in terms of risk of theft as it is virtually impossible to steal the gas from a tank as it would require highly specialised equipment to do so.
LPG is also a very versatile fuel, and just like being on mains gas. It can be used for heating and hot water, and also cooking and gas fires,
It’s easier then you think to switch from oil to gas, and Calor is currently offering a free tank installation to new customers switching from other fuels. This includes tank delivery, installation, civil works and the gas connection.